HS Graduation Requirements
What follows is a reflection of board policy 6:300-E3 referenced as "Local High School Graduation Requirements (in Accordance with State Law)".
Subject Area and Credit Completion Graduation Requirements
- 4.0 credits of English & Language Arts
- 3.0 credits of Mathematics
- 3.0 credits of Science
- 2.5 credits of Social Science*
* One of which must be an American History course
Total Credits Needed for Graduation
As the district transitions from 8-block to traditional 7-period scheduling and offers American Government at the 8th grade level, total credit requirements for graduation will evolve as outlined below.
- Class of 2017 – 25 credits
- Class of 2018 – 24 credits
- Class of 2019 and beyond – 24.5 credits
American Goverment Examination Graduation Requirement
All students must pass an examination on the following content.
- American patriotism and the principles of representative government, as enunciated in the American Declaration of Independence
- The Constitution of the United States of America
- The Constitution of the State of Illinois
- Proper use and display of the American flag
Required Participation in Accordance with State Law
- Health Education – Each student shall take the equivalent of one semester. Course substitutions in accordance with 6:310 are allowed.
- Physical Education – Each student shall be required to take physical education daily. Course substitutions in accordance with 6:310 are allowed.
- Consumer Education – Each student shall take the equivalent of nine weeks. Course substitutions in accordance with 6:310 are allowed.
- American Government – Each student shall take a course covering the content of 1-4 above for the equivalent of at least one hour per week.